Segura – Fortress and bridge
The parish of Segura belongs to the municipal district of Idanha-a-Nova. History shows Segura to have been a frontier fortress and indeed the village came into its own after the construction of the Segura Bridge to define itself as the guardian of the passage. It was a town and an administrative centre between 1510 and 1836 when it was annexed to the municipality of Salvaterra do Extremo. It has architectural affinities with Spain which can be seen in its sober houses, which are almost always white and with wrought iron railings marking the balconies and the windows.
The Igreja Matriz is an ancient church which has recently been restored using elements of the 18th-century construction programme. From here can be seen the built-up area of Segura defined between two heights, that of the Rua do Outeiro and the castle which is higher and further away, the emplacement of the medieval fortress designed by Duarte d’Armas. At the opposite end of the village stands the Church of La Misericórdia, which is known to have existed since at least the early 17th century; it is noteworthy for its portico and its belfry and is an important building in the context of the Holy Week celebrations in the village.
Of the natural heritage we can highlight old paths which lead us to the River Erges and the solid walls of the dams which join mills and banks and a protected area of the Tejo Internacional Nature Reserve. Between two mills, Azenha do Roque and Moinho das Freiras, the Erges flows in a gorge, Las Fragas, which is one of the most interesting landscapes and geological sites in the region.