Salorino is located to the south of the peneplain of the River Salor, which gives the village its name. Here we find a combination of Roman history, with the remains of a road in the passes of the sierra and the ruins of what could have been a villa, and other traces from the Moslem period visible at the Torrico de San Pedro.
The first permanent settlements of Salorino were those of the repopulation of the Reconquest in the 13th century around the fountain of “El Lugar”. It was there that inns arose such as that of “La Porra”. In the last years of the 15th century the village was a rest area with inns for those who passed by on foot on the roads of the Order of Alcántara. This order took charge of bringing to their new home the settlers who founded what is now Salorino. In 1791 four commands made up the municipal area: Belvís de la Sierra, Benfayán, Sacristanía, and Hornos. At this time the important economic activities were the exporting of wax, honey, and baked bread.